Senior married couple arriving at Hotel

Travel: Adventure Time For Seniors

A JOURNEY IN GOOD COMPANY

There’s no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” — Mark Twain

PASHA and I are traveling. We worried that we might not be in synch, but the habits we acquired in our separate widowhoods – going to bed and rising at certain fixed times, eating our own favorite foods, tying up the bathroom for hours – lend themselves to compromise. I dislike the beach, but I’m learning to love that sticky, soggy feeling — and walking with sand in my shoes.  PASHA is a computer hog, but has been gracious about sharing the one laptop we’ve brought along.

THE TOGETHERNESS TRIAL

PASHA is discrete about his Metamucil and his pill bottles, hiding them away instead of lining them up alongside the toothbrush and the shaving cream. He’s not hiding his high blood pressure from me; he’s hiding it from himself. He is proud of reaching three score and ten in robust health and without dependency on serious medication. Indeed, we’ve been hiking mountain trails, swimming laps, peddling about on creaky bicycles that seem almost as old as we are. We can even boast of climbing the 180 narrow stone stairs of an old watchtower – and descending them (harder) with a fair amount of dignity.

COFFEE TASTES BETTER ABROAD

PASHA booked apartments in each of our destinations – Zurich, Prague, and Jerusalem. He mistrusts restaurant breakfasts, so here we are at 8 AM, sipping Turkish coffee purchased from the famous Sandouka kiosk in Jerusalem’s Old City.  I’m been dreaming of this cardamom-spiked brew since my last trip here in 2008.  Later, in advance of a trip to the beach, we’ll enjoy PASHA’s shirred eggs topped with zaatar, the Mediterranean’s premier spice mix.

PASHA is dishing out a bit of goat cheese, some fat ‘n’ juicy olives. “I’d make someone a very good wife,” he says. Once upon a time he clearly made someone a very good husband. Our shared experience (having been married to people with whom we shared warm, passionate, and mutually supportive partnerships) is a great basis for what we have – or are developing – now.

'Travel: Adventure Time For Seniors' have 8 comments

1. January 18, 2013 @ 5:37 pm Candy

This made me hungry, for more than olives and cheese.

2. November 23, 2011 @ 7:42 am Sienna

Ellie – Zaatar is said to be a mix of oregano, thyme, and other similar herbs, but don’t imagine you can concoct this exotic delight simply by reaching into your garden’s yield. U.S. versions just doesn’t taste like the real (Middle East) thing. Wikipedia has a fine definition of zaatar, and an explanation of how you might come close to producing a close match, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar

3. November 17, 2011 @ 9:24 am Ellie

What exactly is zaatar a mix of? I pride myself on using exotic spices, but never heard of this one.

4. April 22, 2011 @ 1:41 pm Irena530

I went on a trip with a British man I met on a plane. We corresponded by email for about a year before we decided to meet in New York on one of his business trips there and then drive to Montreal. I speak French so I thought that was a good idea. Well, it’s a lot different when you suddenly end up in a hotel room with someone you’ve never been naked with. I spent more time wrapped up in a bathrobe than anything else. We were very shy with one another. It was a good time, but I’d advise anyone who travels with a senior man to get to know him in the flesh so to speak before you get caught in a tiny room.

5. February 21, 2011 @ 1:06 pm Tweets that mention Senior couples traveling together | Dating Senior Men -- Topsy.com

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sepha, Jasper Blake. Jasper Blake said: RT @datingseniormen: Single Seniors Traveling Together | http://bit.ly/eo8vdC #widow #relationships #boomers […]

6. October 29, 2010 @ 8:00 pm Sienna

Well, Pasha has many good qualities, but being rich is not one of them. We are people of moderate means and we share expenses, not by rigidly keeping score, but by (informally) taking turns. We watch our spending levels very carefully — you know, senior style.

7. October 29, 2010 @ 4:09 pm Crash and Burn

I thought this was a site about dating senior men, but you seem to have found yours — a rich guy, and so you’re not really dating men (plural)anymore. The stories about the men you’ve dated before are funny, though. Keep up the good work and good luck with Pasha.

8. September 4, 2010 @ 1:46 pm Lillian

The first time I shared a hotel room with a man who was not my husband (after a divorce)I was shocked to see that he would just walk into the bathroom when I was in there. He was very natural about it – a little too natural, in fact. What turned me off more than the invasion of privacy was that he had to take about a million pills. When I saw that I worried that he’d have a heart attack before we got out of there.