boardwalk empire

The Sensual Brain (At Last)

It’s really no fun to read about what happens to the senior brain (hint: it decays). Google “sensory changes aging” and you’ll wind up with hundreds of essays that predict a decline in cognition. You know — the younger brain is a sponge and the older brain’s a sieve, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, etc. It’s hard to find an island of comfort in a sea of delay-your-dementia exercises offered half-heartedly by medical professionals (who appear to be about 35).

Some researchers have a more optimistic viewpoint. These experts point out that as we grow older, we move away from abstract thinking (left brain) to sensory perception (right brain) – that is, we’re more attuned to sound, smell, taste, touch, imagery. It’s NOT a lesser way, but a different way of receiving information. We no longer depend on logic to process our information. We get it by sensory means.

How liberating! No more Plato, no more Aristotle, no more recursion theory. Instead, license to wrap yourself in silk and cashmere, spritz Hermes perfume, sauce the spaghetti, sip a Chateauneuf du Pape, curl up comfortably on Sunday nights with the deliciously nasty crooks on HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire.”

These things of course are best served up with embraces from a significant other — which brings us to the fact that aging guys, too, are part of this move from left brain logic to sensory exploration. So — logically — it falls to us to give ‘em what they need — whether that be a delicious home-cooked meal, a challenging tennis game, a sexual odyssey, or just a warm, loving, and reassuring smile.

'The Sensual Brain (At Last)' have 11 comments

1. July 14, 2014 @ 3:38 pm Josie

Hi, so should I be devoted more to body or soul? I’d like to get smarter, yes, and find a smart guy! Thanks.

2. September 11, 2012 @ 6:48 am Pollyanna

Hmm…well, I’m looking forward to the premier of the next season of Boardwalk Empire. Does that make me an old lady with a sensual brain?

3. February 17, 2011 @ 10:27 am Michael Berryhill

Sienna, wanted to compliment your blogging efforts. Takes lots of moxxy (especially as boomers) to get out here and do what we do. Your content appears both timely and informative which is what folks are looking for. Not going to self promote, but one of our groups Sun Cities Travelers Group is always open for any of your followers to watch, follow, and even join. WE are FEE FREE! and will very shortly be offering live video feeds of our group travels which should prove to be a real hoot! But only time (and enemies) will tell. Take Care, Be Well, and keep up the great work.

4. February 14, 2011 @ 8:11 am Rachel

This is a great post. I’m looking forward to sensual smarts.

5. February 2, 2011 @ 3:12 pm Tweets that mention Aging Brain - Sensual Brain | Dating Senior Men -- Topsy.com

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sepha, Sepha. Sepha said: RT @datingseniormen Aging Brain – Sensual Brain | Dating Senior Men http://bit.ly/eeo9nK […]

6. December 4, 2010 @ 3:24 pm Perry

Recursion theory? Oh, please.

7. October 28, 2010 @ 9:12 pm Sienna

I don’t think these two – intellectuality and sensuality – are mutually exclusive. Sensual awareness can engulf us without knocking us off the cocktail circuit, where our erudition can continue to delight the fussiest of logicians.

8. October 28, 2010 @ 9:01 pm Majid

I am a 45 year old man who likes older women. And its becuse they smell good from perfume and they like to cook. Younger women are like lets go out to eat. And they’re more selfish in bed.

9. October 28, 2010 @ 8:56 pm Phyl301

I like the idea that sensuality could be central to my enjoyment, but I want to be able to maintain the ability to speak intelligently about something besides clothes and cooking. Is this why we’re encouraged to do crossword puzzles?

10. October 7, 2010 @ 7:38 pm Fifi J

This is the most amazing site for senior women and men. I shared this with my significant other and he’s so into it. Thanks.

11. September 27, 2010 @ 3:35 pm BMW guy

My fiance and I were arguing about this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for making me sure!

Sent from my Android phone