Ten Ways To Find Love On Line

TEN TIPS TO HELP SENIOR WOMEN FIND LOVE ON LINE

1.  Choose an online dating site carefully. The best ones allow you a pre-signup look at photos and profiles. Look at several before you decide.

2.  Use a photo. Not posting a photo tells prospective contacts that you are lazy, unattractive, lying about your age, or not a paid member of the site.

3.  Post a profile that shows you to be intelligent, contented, unselfish, and rich (just kidding– although if you really are wealthy that wouldn’t hurt).

4.  Don’t make demands. It’s reasonable to limit yourself to non-smokers or even dog lovers, but please don’t insist on Mr. / Ms. Perfect.  They don’t exist.

5.  Be honest about your age. Geezer men searching for women 40-45 when they should be looking for 60-to-70-year-olds are not only opening themselves to ridicule, but missing some really great ladies.

6.  Don’t appear over-dependent on your kids.  Your special someone is looking for time with you, not weekends with your children and grandchildren.

7.  Don’t brag.

8.  Don’t be over-modest.

9.  Starbucks is where online first daters all go.  Everyone will know why you’re there.  Agree to meet someplace else. Like Dunkin Donuts.

10.  Reveal something unique about yourself. Don’t simply say that you like movies — say you enjoyed Salma Hayek’s performance in “Frida.”  Don’t say you like to travel — say you long to see Machu Picchu.

'Ten Ways To Find Love On Line' have 14 comments

1. September 4, 2014 @ 9:23 am Hopeless

Dependent on the kids. They all are. And the kids don’t like you because they don’t want a substitute for their mother.

2. June 19, 2014 @ 2:55 am Dorothy

I am aSenior Lady. I read this blog and like the advice but I don’t have anyone. It would be nice to find a senior gentleman to be with because I like Sex. Would like to find him soon.

3. November 7, 2012 @ 5:57 pm Sienna

Gayle — I recently wrote a guest post about this very thing on Vibrant Nation, a wonderful forum for 50+ women. I have learned a lot since I wrote the entry you read above. Please check the article out — not only for the question I asked (Should She Lie About Her Age?), but for the 33 fascinating comments – some of which validate your position.

4. November 7, 2012 @ 11:49 am Gayle

Sorry, but I am a very pretty 69 year old woman and if I did not “lie” about my age NO ONE would probably write to me. I look about 50 years old and work out five times a week…Please don’t tell women not to lie about their age!…When and if I meet someone I like I would definitely tell them after the first meeting IF they are interested in me! If not, why bother?…You are absolutely wrong about being so truthful on the INTERNET!…..

5. June 12, 2011 @ 12:44 pm Sienna

So good to hear from you, Joan. I urge my readers to check out the link you’ve provided. And the books you mention are MUST reads. Certainly “Naked At Out Age” is the last word on senior relationships & senior sex. Both books are available at Amazon.com

6. June 12, 2011 @ 12:07 pm Joan Price

I agree with you, Sienna, and I strongly disagree with Pretty Patti and ElizAnn:

Pretty Patti: You don’t want even a first date with someone who would “run the other way” knowing your weight, would you? You want someone who will be attracted to you just the way you are! That person will never find you if you don’t post a photo.

ElizAnn: To use my own experience, I’m 67. I don’t want to date a man who would date me only if I were 57 or 60, but not 67. What’s the point of lying? Show how vibrant and appealing you are in your profile, and the good ones will respond.

May I add my most important admonition? DON’T WEAR SUNGLASSES IN YOUR PROFILE PHOTO! You give a shady (pun intended) impression.

I’ve blogged some dating tips for men over 50:

Joan Price
    Author of Naked at Our Age: Talking Out Loud about Senior Sex and Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty

7. May 12, 2011 @ 10:34 am Patsy R.

My sister who is recently upset about the breakup of her son and his wife told me she thinks the younger generation is just not getting it becuase they breakup for stupid reasons, like being bored with each other, which is really being bored with yourself. I agree, because I have been with some men who were awful, but they were never boring.

8. January 3, 2011 @ 11:43 am ElizAnn

This is a nice list but I disagree about honesty about your age. If I tell the truth I’ll never get any response.

9. October 29, 2010 @ 4:20 pm Pretty Patti

It is just so hard to put yourself out there. I signed on to two dating sites and I just couldn’t put up the photo. I was embarrassed but what you say is exactly right. Men don’t contact you unless they can see what you look like. I have a pretty decent face, but I’m overweight and I know when a man sees all of me he’ll run the other way.

10. October 26, 2010 @ 7:32 pm Sienna

Although I don’t endorse getting into a car – even a convertible in broad daylight – with someone you don’t know, we live in a Google world, and it’s relatively easy to learn lots about people before you meet them face to face. But please don’t let a lot of charming email or telephone talk fool you into not being careful out there.

11. October 25, 2010 @ 11:33 am Sally Ray

I’d like to share a nice experience I had. Instead of saying he’d meet me for coffee, this man asked me to lunch. Before that he told me to Google him so I’d see he was legit, and even offered me his work phone if in case I wanted to check him. He picked me up in his convertible – my neighbors had a field day — and we went to a restaurant close to my home. We had a lively conversation and he paid the whole bill graciously, then took me home. I don’t know if we’ll go out again, but at least it was a nice change from the “meet for coffee” formula.

12. October 24, 2010 @ 8:39 am Emma

I get your joke about it helps if you’re rich, but there are a lot of gold diggers out there. The very first man I agreed to date took a look at my new Audi and didn’t waste any time quizzing me on my stock preferences and where I did my banking. Every subject we started to talk about eventually rotated back to my financial situation. Worst part of it was, I didn’t really see the pattern until the date was over and I had time to stand back and think about it. I lost him fast, but it’s a lesson, believe me.

13. October 12, 2010 @ 3:06 pm Patsy R.

I like what you imply about a balance between bragging and being too modest. I think that’s the most important thing, more important even than the others.

14. October 7, 2010 @ 12:44 pm inky-do

Swell tips. I gave these to my sister – she’s single. For the third time. A really unlucky lady. And she doesn’t have much luck on line dating.